GRANDMA MATYJASIK’S PORK AND SCALLOPED POTATOES
(Grandma never measures anything and it was very difficult documenting her recipe! You’ll see what I mean!)
- BROIL, GRILL, OR BAKE SEVERAL PORK SHOULDER STEAKS - DRAIN OF GREASE.
- DE-BONE WHEN COOL
- WASH AND PEEL (OR LEAVE THE PEEL ON!) SEVERAL LARGE POTATOES-SLICE THEM (NOT TOO THICK, NOT TOO THIN)
- WASH AND SLICE THREE OR SO LARGE ONIONS
- Put some of the pork in a large rectangle pan that’s deep, 3 x 15, would be good, deeper would be better, like a lasagna pan.
- Put the onions and potatoes over the pork.
- Then more pork.
- Then more potatoes and onions.
- Season with salt and pepper or your favorite herbs
- Pour milk or Half and Half over everything until all covered.
(Note from Trixie: I divert from just the plain milk/Half and Half. I whisk together milk and (forgive me) a can or two of mushroom soup. If you aren’t a mushroom fan, use cream of celery. Then pour this mixture over everything.)
Cook uncovered at 350 degrees until the potatoes are done. It might take an hour or an hour and a half, depending on the pan you use.
Grandma Rose says just to "play with this to suit yourself."