(Blondie loves these!)
1-1/8 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/8 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup peanut butter or other nut butter
1 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend wheat flour and white flour in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine vegetable oil, peanut butter, and water. Add flour, one cup at a time, forming a dough. You will need to blend the final flour by hand, kneading until a nice firm ball of dough is formed. (Takes a bit of kneading.)
- Let ball of dough stand for about 10 minutes to allow the gluten to relax. Makes for easier rolling.
- Roll dough to about 1/4 inch thickness on a sheet of waxed paper. Cut with desired cutter. I like to use a cutter in the shape of a dog bone!
- Score the tops of the cookies with a fork so the steam that builds up inside the cookies will release.
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for about 25 minutes, turning the pan a couple of times during baking. Cookies should be hard to the touch before removing from the oven. You may need to increase baking time. Do this in five minute increments.
- Average baking time is 30-35 minutes.
- Cool, then store in plastic bags or air-tight containers.